Friday, September 8, 2017

AN ODE TO MY MOTHER - By Dn. Anto SDB

Today is a red-lettered day and I cannot let this day pass without a post. It is the Birthday of the Second-most important person in my life, next only to God – it’s my mother. Oh no. No the one who brought me into this world, but the one who will bring me to Heaven.

Catholic Christians, all over the world, celebrate the 8th of September as the birthday of Mother Mary. She may be called as the Blessed Virgin Mary, but she is in fact our mother.
I personally consider it a blessing to have been born as a Catholic through which I have come under the Mantle of Mother Mary. As far as I can remember I have had a special devotion to the Mother of God, but this devotion has of late developed into a profound love that keeps expanding by each day. This is due to the fact that I have become more aware of the presence and guidance of the Blessed Mother in my life.
St. John Bosco, the founder of our Salesian Congregation, used to tell his boys that it was Mother Mary who brought each boy into the Oratory and it was she who guided and protected them. The same is also true of every individual who enters the Salesian Congregation to serve as a cleric or lay brother. Today, I stand at the threshold of my priestly ordination in the Catholic Church. When I look back at life, I cannot understand how I have managed to persevere this far. Then I remember the words of St. John Bosco and things fall into perspective.
Everybody agrees that the love of a mother is one of the purest and highest forms of love. No mother would ever let down her son at any point of time and for any reason. But this heavenly Mother of mine, was very different. She was willingly to sacrifice her only beloved son (Jesus Christ) that God’s will and human salvation may be accomplished. It was my sins that crucified my Saviour on the Cross. It was because of me that He had to die. But still Mother Mary could accept me as her beloved son and pray for me unceasingly with love and tears as she did at the foot of the Cross.
Very often in my life, I have been very unmindful of this Mother’s love and guidance. I have hurt her so much. Yet, she has carried me through life in a way that only she can do. And as we celebrate her birthday, I thank God from the bottom of my heart for the gift of such a wonderful mother. What more could I ask for?
She has been a mother to me. Yes. But the question is – Have I been a son to her? Well! Not exactly. And that is the task that each Catholic is called to embark upon, so that we confirm ourselves to the likes of her only son Jesus Christ.
O Mary! My mother and guide. Make our hearts like unto thine, so that we may love your son as you loved and be transformed into your true sons and daughters.
Happy Birthday Mama. Thank you for all that you are and all that you do for me.
https://ajohnsdb.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/an-ode-to-my-mother/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Introduction to Spiritual Direction

 Introduction: I would like you to journey with me in this systematic process of learning on what is spiritual direction. What exactly do we...