Sunday, October 31, 2010

ARE YOU WILLING TO SHARE YOUR GIFTS WITH OTHERS?

 

This is the question. Are you willing to share your gifts? Are you willing to be amazing? Are you willing to allow the great love of the universe to work through you so you can support others?

I have been asking myself this question because I have noticed those times when I have resistance or reluctance to acknowledge the gifts I have been given and let them loose on the world. Whatever the fear has been, I have, at times, unknowingly, allowed it to be in charge. This is not black and white, yes or no. This is a matter of degree. Do you allow yourself to express your gifts fully? Or do you hold back?

We are given these gifts to give to others. And, we get to experience them moving through us as well, which is so great! Speaking for myself, I have opened so much more fully to sharing these gifts that I can't help but grin, because the people I am sharing them with are benefiting so deeply. This is the beauty and this is what I am grateful for every day -- to have the chance to be a vehicle for love and inspiration in this world. Are you willing to do that as well?

The trick is this -- to recognize that those gifts come through you -- to not get caught up in your ego. To understand that our job is to open that space and allow it to flow. At the same, time, it is to understand that you are the one to share these gifts. This is how the divine is realizing itself through you.

My son and I were having lunch yesterday, talking about the whole idea of paying dues. As a Wall Street trader, he has spent years cultivating the emotional, spiritual and technical knowledge and abilities he needs to play that game. And when he plays well, he sometimes feels that it's just too easy. That he hasn't earned the rewards. I say, forget about it! I've watched him sweat bullets to get to the place he is in. He has payed his dues. Otherwise, he wouldn't be receiving.

When I think about myself, I have, at times, minimized the dues I've paid. But I have. I have spent years and years doing the deep spiritual, emotional and intellectual work essential to honouring the knowledge and abilities I need to do the work I do.

So, say yes. Say yes in sharing that knowledge, wisdom, talent and skill you have with those who will benefit. This is the way of it. This is what we are supposed to do! This is how the divine works in this world to the benefit of everyone. This is the expression of love we are all a part of. Are you willing to give your gifts? I hope, for all our sakes, you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Introduction to Spiritual Direction

 Introduction: I would like you to journey with me in this systematic process of learning on what is spiritual direction. What exactly do we...